From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:54:19 -0800
At 08:52 PM 03/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Philip Thrift wrote:
>
>> This is why gaining muscle mass is perhaps the most important way to
>> reduce body fat % (and why aerobics don't help).
>
>But when you have ceased gaining appreciable amounts of muscle
>mass, as I have, I wonder if some form of whole-body aerobics
>isn't a better bet.  Aerobic activity is, after all, fat-burning
>activity, and the more muscle you can recruit in the process the
>more fat should be used, no?
>
>Todd Moody

        Todd you should consider training less frequently but with greater
intensity to stimulate further muscle gains. Muscle burns significant
calories at rest. The more you have the more calories you burn even while
sleeping. Aerobics is a most inefficient way to lose fat because they build
virtually no muscle(not intense enough), prevent the maintenance of calorie
burning muscle, burn very few calories unless done with an obsessive
frequency and duration, and do not improve oxygen utilization anywhere
close to that which can be had through interval anaerobic training(circuit
training). Aerobics also decrease flexibility, break down joints when done
at the amount necessary for weight loss, and are far from being a paleo
activity if anything other than walking(sleeping by the way is probably the
most aerobic activity you can do).
        If you desire help with losing fat and not just weight please give your
current training routine, diet, and pertinent lifestyle factors such as
employment activities, amount of sleep you get, time spent outdoors in the
sun, do you have loving or stressful relationships, are you under excessive
emotional stress, etc. Do you see food as something more than a nutrient
delivery system?
        E-mail me privately if you like.

Dave