From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:44:42 -0500
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:35 Wade Reeser wrote:

>I have read that low T3 levels can grind weight loss to a halt.
>What to do?  Well, according to Rob Fagin in Natural
>Hormone Enhancement a periodic high carbo/low
>fat meal for dinner twice a week is sufficient
>to keep T3 levels high.

Another non-Paleo thing you are doing is trying to lose weight.  Paleos
might have had low body fat levels, but that would have been a consequence
of having - and fuelling - a body so that it could perform adequately.  If
a Paleo was so overweight that they could not contribute to their band, or
even became a burden upon it, they would have been cajoled, encouraged or
shamed - NOT into losing body fat, but into performing more strenuously
(or more assiduously, or for longer, etc.) so that their contribution was
commensurate with their expected reciprocal obligation.  If a modern human
can walk and not waddle, if they can do their chores to their standards
and requirements without assistance, if they can bridge (through exercise)
the gap between their low 21st century activity levels and the higher and
more varied Paleo activity levels, then they have no need to lose body fat.

Body fat levels are not an end in themselves; they are no better than a
very crude marker of ability to perform.  If we can perform and contribute
adequately, we have reached the Paleo standard.  Don't be a sucker for the
diet industry or fall for our contemporary, superficial obsession with the
latest cosmetic fad.  Leave the quest for low body fat behind; focus on
performance.  (For the same reason, scoff at all attempts to mask age:
dying hair, anti-ageing skin treatments, dressing like a teenager.  By all
means dye your hair or decorate your face for adornment; dress to impress -
 there are good reasons based in Darwinian sexual selection.  Sexual
selection - that's performance!)

Keith