From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:31:42 -0500
From: "The Getty's"
> I think that this is the weak part of the Paleothin Diet...............
> Fruits today, except for berries, are far different than those eaten by
> early man.  There were no fruits like watermelon, just dripping with
sugar.
> These are new products. Even carrots are bulged out sugar enhanced roots
> with little resemblance to their native ancestors.  I'd say, watch out
with
> fruit...................very little.

Yes, it's a problem. Seed catalogs describe fruits/veggies by their
sweetness, among other attributes.  I'm all of an ancient 48, but the fruit
of my childhood was not as sweet as what I get today.  Ditto with a lot of
veggies.  And they are not as fibrous--"stringy" as my elders used to say.

The wild blackberries are getting ripe.  I've been lightly grazing and
keeping an eye on when and where to do a major picking.  I keep returning to
the sweetest brambles, though I'll pick tart ones, too.  I wonder which ones
are more like their ancestors?  Is one better for me than the other?  The
"Paleo" books have caused me to think about "natural" food in ways that
never used to cross my mind.

Humans have been tinkering with food for a long time, but maybe some of the
heirloom seed varieties/old cultivars available today have more value than
nostalgia.

Theola