From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:57:57 -0500
Date:         Sat, 28 Sep 2002 23:55:13 EDT
From:         Alex Shvartsman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      fish, fat, mercury

>Are all fatty fish (rich in EPA) are also richer in mercury?
>Which fish are mercury free, rich in mega 3?
>
>List them please
>
>Alex

The answer is simple, but it is not one we want to hear, let alone act
upon.

<The lush natural world in which humans evolved is being rapidly
transformed into a largely prosthetic environment.> wrote John Gray in his
important essay [reproduced at http://www.evfit.com/population.htm].

Basically, human population has expanded to such massive numbers that we
are destroying the biosphere upon which we depend.  This is compounded by
our hubristic, short-sighted use of technologies chosen and applied
according to criteria which ignore their full impact on the environment.
We are frogs in the saucepan of water coming up to the boil.

So, fish with the highest fat proportions are generally well up the food
chain and the mercury, PCBs and other contaminants are concentrated in the
fat at each link in the chain.  Even fish from the remote Southern Ocean
have so much mercury that the Australian fish research body recommends no
more than 400g of oily fish a week.  This is far too low to have the sort
of effects we are looking for from Omega 3s.

There are two things we can do.

1.  the simple response is to bypass the mercury in OUR food by using
highly refined fish oil.  Sears labs is one source; follow the links at
http://www.searslabs.com/index.jsp?domain=searslabscom to Products>Omega
Rx>More info.  For background on fish oil contamination, Omega 3s etc,
read Barry Sears book <The Omega 3 Rx Connection>.

2.  the responsible response is to fight the causes, not the symptoms:
join, and actively support, an environmental group which is taking action
on ocean polution, bidiversity destruction and the growth of human
population [take Dr Sears' capsules, too, by all means, but fight the the
thinking that puts the contaminants into our oceans in the first place].

Keith
www.evfit.com