From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:58:43 -0500
Thanks for the interest.

I was a dentist in the National Guard and had to be concerned about my
weight....................I was constantly under "control status".  In the
last ten years I became very overweight...........up to 270 lbs. at 5'9".
About 8 years ago I was discovered to have proteinurea, then very high B. P.
and also all the wrong figures for cholesterol.  My triglycerides were in
the stratosphere, and nobody could give me answers as to why, except
genetics.  I have been taking hydrochlorothiazide and lisinopril for BP,
several drugs for cholesterol, and glucophage.  Last August 1, I tested my
blood sugar, which had been a bit high ( my doctor put my on 4 glucophage a
day).  I hadn't tested for many months, but when I tested in August, it was
480!  I knew I had to do something, and because of my past playing around
with Paleo (I had the book) and the Heller's Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, I
immediately adopted this type of diet.

But, first, my history of dieting.  A normal, if a little chunky, boy and
teenager, I was always obsessed with food.  By post-college, I started
putting on a lot of weight and began dieting with all the fads.  In the mid
80's, before the low fat diet thing really had hit, I had already started
and done Pritikin.  It was pretty successful, but I think I lost weight
mostly because there wasn't a lot of low fat foods then and I could only eat
so much rice and beans.  By the mid nineties I had basically given up,
gaining pound after pound and insatiably hungry all the time.  I finally
gave in to all eating, figuring that I would live very long no matter what.
I just couldn't do the self discipline any more.  And my stomach was always
hurting, I had regurgitation every night, and my nephologist told me I
wouldn't see 60 (meaning I wouldn't see my daughter graduate from HS or my
son graduate from college).  I was resigned to this because I honestly could
not see a way out.  Besides the other medicines I was taking aspirin,
glucophage, lisinopril, hydrochlorothiazide, Zantac, Maalox, Lipitor or
Zocor.
All I did to change my life was to not eat any carbs all day except one
helping at dinner.  That is the Carbohydrate Addicts part.  The Paleo part
is that all day I eat mostly Paleo............meat, fish, lettuce, tomatoes,
olives, eggs (I raise my own), lots of cabbage-collards-broccoli-mustard
greens-chard-onions-sweet potatoes-string beans-peppers-turnip greens and
roots-beets-Kohlrabi-squash.  I grow a lot of these so this has been fun.
I break with Paleo in that I eat quite a bit of blue cheese and
Feta in my salads.  I eat lots of olive oil and wine vinegar or malt
vinegar.  I also eat some cheddar.  And I drink red wine, occassionally, but
only in certain social situations, beer, liquor, or white wine.  I also,
partly because of my family and eating out and eating at other people's
homes, allow myself one helping of non-paleo starch/sugar but ONLY at
dinner.  So I will eat lasagna, but a small helping, and eat a large salad,
lots of veggies, and meat.  I haven't eaten much fruit, but when I get my
weight and BP better I will try that........which will be good since I'm
growing an orchard of many fruits and berries.

I have lost 40 lbs. so easily.  I now know what it is to be full.  I have no
(none, nada, zilch) regurgitation at night or stomach problems.  My
triglicerides and cholesterol numbers are great (AND I STOPPED TAKING ANY
CHOLESTEROL MEDICINE).  My blood sugar is perfect.  My BP is lots better but
I still take medicine..............maybe when I get to my ideal weight it
will be better.
My joints feel better and even my fingers feel better now.  I have started
to realize that I will be around for awhile...........I had secretly been
figuring my kids would not have me around in a few years.
This is a miracle.  And the greatest of all is that I am not obsessed with
food for the first time in many decades, even though I very much enjoy
eating.

Paul