From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:04:35 -0700
At 12:33 PM 3/21/01 -0800, Vicki Palmer wrote:
>Dianne Heins wrote:
>>who's off to attempt to explain that corn doesn't start out as a vegetable
>and then become a grain when it is dried...
>
>Gee,
>I'm sure glad that I didn't go ahead and ask about why corn wasn't paleo,
>which I will admit I was thinking about doing.

huh?

But to answer your question:  it's a grain, it's one of the most
genetically manipulated of the grains, it's also new world--meaning we
didn't actually come in contact with it during our evolution.  It's also
one of the foods most on the most allergenic list.

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a SUPPORT list for people on
>paleo diets, like Neanderthin, and there is a separate list for RESEARCH on
>paleo dieting.  I do appreciate most of the articles and all, but please
>forgive us newbies if we ask a DUMB question.  Have you wondered why only a
>handful of people regularly post to this list and they are mostly the ones
>"in the know."

well, if they take a remark about something occurring on a completely
different list to heart, then, I suppose not...

<snip>

Everyone gets grumpy on occasion.  Most everyone feels strongly about one
thing or another--and issues regarding health and eating are often such
things.  Some of the discussions here are ongoing, and that may be some of
what you've seen.  As far as I can tell, this is the very first time you've
written to this list, so no one, to my knowledge, has ever said an unkind
word to you or about you.

Before you write the list off, perhaps you should try asking a question or
contributing to an ongoing discussion and see how you are received?

But I will confess, if, after being presented with several definitions,
both botanical and other wise, of what grains are, what corn is, etc.,
including nutritional breakdowns, you still insist that you've always
regarded it as a vegetable therefore it must be one (as the person on the
other list has been doing), then, I may sign something, with "YMMV" and
drop it...  but I'm assuming, since you're here to begin with, that you
really do think for yourself and are willing to question traditional
beliefs about foods.  Unfortunately, that isn't the norm on a lot of lists...

Dianne