From:
Valerie Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:09:13 -0500
Ken Stuart wrote:
The main problem with most of the Paleo Diet information is that it
concentrates
on what to avoid - in order to avoid the maladies of civilization - but doesn't
spend enough time and attention on what you need to include, in order not to be
deficient in some nutrient.

That is a very astute and interesting observation.  I am just reaching the
point in my new paleodiet when I can start to focus a little more on
content.  I still get hungry sometimes, and still have cravings sometimes,
but less often.  The diet I'm currently eating is probably very deficient
in vitamins and minerals.  I'm ready to start expanding and adding some
variety.  But what should I add?

Generally now, I'm the most successful at feeling satisfied if I eat the
following: 4 scrambled eggs a bacon and sometimes a little bit of fruit for
breakfast at about 8 or 9am.  Then at 12 or 1 pm when I'm hungry again I
have a large Romaine Lettuce salad with cucumbers, chicken, feta cheese,
lots of garlic, some lemon, and olive oil.  That fills me up for the rest
of the afternoon.  I usually get hungry again at 6 or 7 pm or so and have
some kind of meat with nuts and blueberries or a pear or a veggie.

If I have too much carb (i.e. a cup of raw carrots or a lot of sweet fruit
like grapes), I have cravings and "empty" gnawing hunger and can go only a
couple of hours without eating again.  So I have to strike a balance:  low
carb (so as to avoid the excessive insulin response I picked up from eating
SAD), and correct nutrition.

I would like to branch out to other foods but find that they don't fill me
up or they don't taste good.  for example--broiled pork chops and steamed
mixed veggies with butter (cauliflower, sweet potato, mushrooms and yellow
squash) didn't fill me up nearly as well as my Caesar Salad with chicken,
Romaine, cucumbers, garlic, feta and olive oil.  I thought that because
they are more nutrient dense, the veggies would be more filling.  Maybe
they are too dense in carbs, or maybe I should dump a whole bunch of olive
oil on the veggies and see if that helps?

VAL
Valerie Goldstein
Department of Sociology
512/232-6302