From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:15:25 -0700
RE:  Vitamin C

A little over a year ago, when I was working on trying to determine one of
my dog's food allergies and intolerances, my vet at the time (who's since
moved so I can't get a reference from her!) told me *not* to give her
vitamin C--I had been because I found it acted as a bit of a decongestant
and seemed to help the allergy symptoms in other ways, as well...  Anyway,
she told me that since Vitamin C became a popular supplement, there's been
a significant increase in one of the types of organ stones (I'm thinking it
was bladder, but don't remember).  As I had a gazillion other things to
worry about at the time, I just took her advice and used C on an... as
needed basis rather than daily, but now I'm curious to find out what she
may have read...

So, has anyone run across this?  I recall that C helps in the absorption of
calcium--could excess calcium be building up in some individuals (people or
dogs, I don't know which).

Sorry to be so vague, but it was a quick comment from a vet who tends to be
otherwise pretty open to "alternative" medicines, so I don't believe it was
just a party line...

Dianne
not adding much to the discussion :)