Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:07:40 -0800
Barry wrote: <<I even tried R. Audette's suggestion of all meat
and
nothing else from Thanksgiving through Christmas of last year only to
gain 10
pounds (while in ketosis I might add).>>

Well, now this is interesting. Possibilities I'd guess at include your
muscle gain (someone here must have some body fat%-to-pounds-of-muscle
equation that spits out how many calories it took to put on the muscle
that resulted in your body fat percentage decrease). It's interesting
to note that such a high-protein diet put meat on your bones :)  ...
there are a couple of other possibilities that *could* be happening,
and I'll leave it to others on this list to vouch for or shoot down
the theories.

First, the hormones in the meat and fat-- either naturally occurring
or bovine growth hormone (??) or whatever other hormone was fed the
animals you ate, which aren't supposed to tweak your own hormones, but
hey, I'm skeptical.

And second, on the low carb lists I follow it's been noted
occasionally that when weight loss stalls, one fix for some folks is
to add a tiny bit of carbohydrate and their weight loss picks up
again. This is supposedly because at some very deep level of ketosis
your body realizes it is not in a normal state and counterbalances (to
do with insulin), overcompensating. Moral of story: nothing too severe.

Third, possibility of nutrients you were getting elsewhere, perhaps in
greens, like magnesium, that are not in meat. Unless you took a
multivitamin/multimineral, and even then, there are things like
electrolytes, etc., to take into consideration.

Then Todd wrote: <<Incidentally, I got my wife to try Neanderthin,
after over a year
of enduring my dietary eccentricity. She enjoyed the meat and
eggs and nuts, but didn't enjoy the rapid weight gain -- about 15
pounds in 2 months.  It wasn't muscle either.  She is now happily
losing that weight on Weight Watchers.>>

I'm curious whether this was low carb or not? Women's bodies, IMHO,
are the trickier to deal with. The Chinese say men are ruled by qi and
women by blood-- something of a testament to how hormonally sensitive
we are (long explanation I won't go into here). I, for one, gain
bigtime on Weight Watchers, yet when I low carb I can eat much more
calorically and lose. I think I have an upper threshold in terms of
calories, but if I get too few I also gain. Again, the issue of
balance comes up.

Donna