From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:21:53 -0700
Hi Kath and Terry,

I think that you may be missing some of the complexity of antibody testing.
First, there are 5 classes of selective antibodies, so testing for reactions
of one or two falls far short of excluding all possible allergic reactions.
Admittedly, IgG is the most common selective antibody we have, but all the
others can cause reactions too.

Also, when looking for a cause-effect relationship, do bear in mind that it
can take up to 72 hours for a given food to trigger a reaction. That means
that such connections may only be identified through a meticulous food
diary.

Further, when a blood testing is done, specific protein sub-groups are used.
In other words, the blood is exposed to only some of the proteins in a given
food. That means that if you have developed a reaction to one or more of the
amino acid sequences in the proteins that are not included in the panel, you
will not show a reaction despite the fact that you are reacting to it.

Finally, we can experience transient or chronic deficiencies of one or more
classes of antibodies. For instance, about 5% of those with celiac disease
are IgA deficient and celiac blood tests will be negative despite advanced
mucosal atrophy due to undiagnosed celiac disease.

Even the above complications are only a sampling of the potential pitfalls
of serological allergy testing. Nonetheless, such test results are very
valuable tools that will help us eliminate harmful allergens from our diets.

After considerable research, I chose to use Immuno Laboratories. My
investigations suggested that their tests were superior. My entire family
has since been tested by Immuno Labs, and I am very pleased with the
results. However, this does not mean that these tests are perfect. For all
of the above reasons, and more, we need to keep our wits about us as we look
at test results and potential allergies.

Further, I think that the MS sufferer should continue to eliminate gluten as
well as eliminating dairy and soy. She/he should also be sure to ingest lots
of fats (with the exception of trans fats). This latter bit of advice runs
contrary to those who advocate dietary interventions in MS, but I believe
that fats are an important element in the MS diet.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan

 On Behalf Of