From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:08:21 -0600
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:48:40 -0600, Debby Padilla-Hudson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have heard of people who eat that way because they
> grew up that way.  ...
>
> For instance, my friend is married to an Indian man
> who is a vegetarian.  His health is very poor. ...
> But still, he has a life time of vegetarian training..
> to eat meat to him is foreign. ...
> So if this guys parents can so strongly instill
> vegetarianism in a man that is 45 years old and has
> never had meat, I can just imagine that I might
> possibly have that same effect on my son.  I at least
> owe him to try.

I agree that kids should be steered in the right direction.  I also agree
that they will do whatever they want anyway, but at least you'll give them
good information for their future choices.  My mother went through several
"health food" kicks when I was young, and while I don't recall all the
details, I can't help but think it had a positive impact.  (And yes, I
completely ignored all sound diet advice when I was younger.)

I think you may have a harder time than your friend's Indian husband.  The
ties to vegeterianism there run a lot deeper than "just" dietary advice.
See, for example, this site:
http://www.indianchild.com/vegetarianism_in_india.htm

> Do you have any kids?  Do/would you teach your kids to
> eat flour and sugar believing they are poison?

I have two.  I do my best to set a good example and hope some of it sinks
in.  I don't forbid them flour or sugar, but I do limit quantities.  I'm
more focused on encouraging them to try all sorts of good wholesome foods,
and discouraging the rest.  I couldn't keep them out of the grains and
sweets if I wanted to -- our whole society is built around them.  But I
can educate them that there are better choices.

--
   Robert Kesterson