Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 12:12:36 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> Why famine only?  Tubers are a high energy density food.

Also high carbohydrate.
>  They are not unduly difficult to gather. The Expensive Tissue hypothesis, which I accept, stipulates that the evolutionary decrease in the gut-brain ratio depends on a higher density diet.

High carbohydrate consumption = big belly.

> I believe meat must have dominated but I don't see any reason to suppose it did so to the exclusion of other high density foods, such as tubers.

Carnivores should be more likely to survive.

>  Moreover, the fact that cooking shows up about 25-50,000 years before homo sapiens, but a long time before the Neolithic, is at least suggestive.
Fire /= cooking.
It was and is a tool, including social.

> I understand that paleolithic tubers would have been pretty gnarly in comparison with modern selectively bred mega-starches but I just don't see any reason to think that paleo people ignored them.

They might have used them for bait for animals unlucky enough (small
brains)  to not know the difference between food and fodder.

William