From:
Holly Krahe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:59:31 EST
In a message dated 02/19/2003 12:01:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 >  I find I have no trouble in the main course dept,
 >  meat, but run out of good ideas for side dishes.

You might consider giving up the paradigm that you *need* to cook a
multi-dish meal.  It might be more difficult if you are responsible for
feeding other people regularly, but when I just let go of all the cultural
habits about cooking and eating, things are much easier for me.  I often eat
*just* meat or fish at one time, then maybe later *just* a raw salad.  I
sometimes make a meal of just vegetables, too.
Yesterday I got fancy and had seaweed salad at the same time as a roasted
pork tenderloin.  Tonight I'll be concentrating on grilled salmon, and may or
may not feel the need for anything else.

It seems to me that hunters and gatherers would eat what they found, quickly,
and almost to the exclusion of other things in order to avoid waste.  Many
people on this list have posted that they eat only one thing at a time - you
can check the archives for their experiences.  I tend to eat only what I am
in the mood for - I let my body tell me what I need.  Cooking a big
multi-dish meal is reserved for infrequent celebrations with other people.