From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:18:30 -0500
Last night, my hubby and I had been sharing macadamia nuts from a jar we
bought at Whole Foods.  The expiration date says it's best by November 2012,
so I figured they would be ok.  They were dry roasted and salted.  About 3/4
of the way into the jar, my husband showed me nut that was half covered in
dark blackish mold.  Neither of us have experienced any stomach distress but
I am  returning the remains of the jar to Whole Foods.  My hubby says I'm
being paranoid and that people eat moldy cheese and other foods as gourmet
delights.  He said he wouldn't go out of his way to inhale the mold off a moldy
nut but no problems with eating it -- yuck.  He wanted me to just toss the
nasty nut and give him the rest if it bothered me that much but I want Whole
Foods to know about this because the entire batch/lot could be affected.
Does anyone know if this kind of macadamia nut mold is dangerous?? The nuts
we ate tasted fine but I'm sure the mold spores from the single nasty nut
must have been throughout the jar.  I did take a few drops of oil of oregano
under my tongue last night to hopefully kill and nasties I ingested.
Thoughts?