From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 08:08:53 -0500
On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, R Bartlett wrote:

> Good point, especially considering the fact that peanuts are really a
> fungus, not a nut.

It's true that peanuts are not nuts, but fungus?  They are
legumes, of course, and they are edible raw.

It's interesting that Ray recently wrote that if one finds
oneself in the New World, one should eat what the monkeys eat.
That would include peanuts.
(see http://www.monkeymaddness.com/apes_monkeys/bbm53.htm)

> I believe that some of the richest sources of the beneficial monounsaturated
> fats are found in nuts like almonds, cashews, and macadamia nuts (and in
> lower amounts in peanuts and pecans).

Yes, there are richer sources of MUFAs than peanuts, but peanuts
have a lot of other advantages: they are an excellent source of
protein -- more than any nut that I know of.  They are also a
good source of calcium, magnesium, and potassium.  They are an
excellent source of folic acid and niacin.  Their protein is high
in arginine, which the body uses to make nitric oxide, which is
important for vascular health.  They have much resveratrol, which
is believed to be one of the "protective" factors in red wine.
They have a very low glycemic index.

Do they contain protease inhibitors in the raw state?  Yes, but
so do true nuts.  So do plenty of other paleo foods.  Primates
eat them anyway.  Might they have aflatoxin?  Yes, but so might
cherries, cranberries, and true nuts.  According to any
definition of paleo that we use here (edible raw, eaten by
primates, accessible with stone and stick) *except* the blanket
rejection of New World foods, peanuts are paleo.   Other New
World paleo foods include tomatoes, sunflower seeds,
vanilla, squashes, peppers, and pineapple.   If you are going to
reject peanuts for *this* reason, you'd better reject all these
foods as well.

Todd Moody