From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 11:30:29 -0400
On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Holly Krahe wrote:

> I, too wonder about CLA.  I picked up a bottle at a flea market for virtually
> nothing - it is labeled as a weight loss aid.  I looked in Omega Diet for
> information but could find nothing about it.  Where would CLA fit into the
> fatty acid picture?
> Holly

CLA actually contains naturally occurring trans fats, which may
be responsible for the beneficial effects.  Studies have shown
that it tends to reduce body fat levels.  Primary sources are
animal fats, including dairy fats, preferably from pasture-fed
animals (though supposedly cheese from barnyard cows still
contains CLA).  Here are two more short abstracts.

Todd Moody

Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 2000 Jan;223(1):8-13

Mechanisms of action of conjugated linoleic acid: evidence and speculation.

Pariza MW, Park Y, Cook ME

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has been shown to inhibit
carcinogenesis and atherosclerosis, enhance immunologic function
while protecting against the catabolic effects of immune
stimulation, affect body composition change (reducing body fat
gain while enhancing lean body mass gain), and stimulate the
growth of young rats. We discuss possible biochemical mechanisms
that underlie these physiological effects. We emphasize the
importance of considering the effects, both individually and
combined, of the two CLA isomers (cis-9, trans-11 CLA and
trans-10, cis-12 CLA) that have been shown to exhibit biological
activity and which appear to exert their effects via different
biochemical mechanisms.

PMID: 10632956, UI: 20098757

Toxicol Sci 1999 Dec;52(2 Suppl):107-10

Conjugated linoleic acid and the control of cancer and obesity.

Pariza MW, Park Y, Cook ME

Food Research Institute, Department of Food Microbiology and Toxicology,
University of Wisconsin-Madison, 53706-1187, USA. [log in to unmask]

The effects of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in animals are
reviewed. In most of the CLA preparations that have been
investigated to date for biological activity, two CLA isomers are
present in about equal concentrations: cis-9,trans-11 CLA, and
trans-10,cis-12 CLA. The occurrence of these isomers in foods and
their production by rumen microorganisms are discussed. Potential
mechanisms of action as regards the effects of CLA on cancer and
body composition are reviewed, including recent evidence that
body composition changes are produced by the trans-10,cis-12 CLA
isomer. Evidence is presented indicating that CLA may modulate
cellular response to tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha). The
mechanistic implications of this finding are considered.

PMID: 10630598, UI: 20094294