From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:28:41 -0400
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> I don't think that there is a special genetic adaption necessary for
> large scale meat eaters. All mammals do "digest" their own tissues
> everyday and in circumstances of starvation. All unneccessary amino acids
> are downgraded to glucose anyway.
> It's just the extent, the excreting capacity and gluconeogenesis capacity
> that changes for a meat eater.

But these are real adaptations.  If one's gluconeogenesis output
is inadequate, then during a meat-only period one would likely
die.

> I think if there's an adaption necessary, it happens within a lifetime
> by enlarging the kidneys, liver, and producing more or less enzymes of a
> certain kind.

No doubt, but there will be limits to these adaptations, and
those limits would be subject to selection pressure.

> A real adaption pressure would be the *dependance* on several items, like
> Vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin E.

The adrenals of a hunted animal are a good source of vitamin C.
The testicles are a source of vitamin E.  Liver has a supply of
folic acid, or its usable metabolites.  100g of turkey liver
contains 738 mcg of "dietary folate equivalent." These nutrients
would not be a problem on a northern diet.

Todd Moody