From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:13:34 +0000
On Feb 14, 2008, at 5:42 pm, Robert Kesterson wrote:

> I don't have a problem with a bit of soil.  But be careful of
> relying on anecdotal evidence.  You could argue that eating
> processed grains must be OK since lots of people do it every day and
> don't fall over.  At least not immediately.

I will heed this advice and remember not to let soil become a staple
food :)

> I just throw everything into one big pile.  The vegetable matter for
> the carbon, and the manure for the nitrogen.  It seems to work out OK.
>
> It reminds me of a strange occurrence, though.  Last summer we
> bought a pineapple at the grocery store.  Cut the top off, ate the
> rest, and threw the top on the compost pile.  To my complete
> surprise, it took root and started growing.  I dug it up and put it
> in a pot, so now I have a pineapple growing in our living room.  I
> looked it up online, and apparently you can do that and grow
> yourself a pineapple.  It takes two or three years for it to flower
> and fruit, but supposedly it will.  (Yeah, I know, probably not
> paleo.)

Hey I might try that for fun.  We used to have a yukka and I miss
that.  I dug it into the field outside the office I used to work at,
that was in September.  Not sure if it's still alive, I might drive
past and have a look one night.  We had a few early frosts, but
otherwise it's been mild so it might have made it.

Here's a guide I found on growing pineapples:
http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm

Do you need to live somewhere hot to do it, or will it survive indoors
in a temperate area with adequate global warming?  I mean central
heating?

Ashley