From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:16:22 -0400
>I read that as land is being wasted growing crops for the animals we eat
>and that instead, the land should be used to grow grains to feed people
>and not wasted on red meat?

i've heard that it takes the approximate same amount of resources to produce
1 pound of beef as it does to produce 16 pounds of grain.  and if you're
feeding hungry people, 16 pounds of grain will stretch alot farther than 1
pound of beef (assuming they're not on neanderthin)

>Ps both the above and below came from a newspaper article:
>- they also said (as far as I'm concerned this one is an excellent goal
>to pursue) - "an end to tobacco cultivation would free up enough land to
>grow 15 million tonnes of grains"

heyheyhey, wait a minute...i know menthol cigarettes aren't exactly 'paleo',
but look, i've given up coffee, sugar, alcohol, you got to leave me
something here.  back off the tobacco farmers.

JoAnn.