From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:11:12 -0500
Lynnet Bannion wrote in answer to Torsten Bürger's question:
> >...She says she has cellulitis at the age of 21 (never showed me). I
learned that after a while of low carb paleo the quality of texture/
connective tissue improves quite a bit...
> >Does someone have any specific experiences with cellulitis connecting to
carb vs. low carb / junk vs. paleo?

> My understanding of cellulitis is that it is the natural texture of a
thicker layer  > of fat over thighs, etc., not some particular condition.
Eating loads of carbs   > also leads to puffiness from water retention,
which makes the condition
> worse.  When someone goes paleo low-carb, their face loses that soft
> puffiness and you can start to see the contours and cheekbones again, even
> before much weight loss has occurred.

    The description of what a paleo low-carb diet does is a pretty apt
description. The definition of cellulitis is way off base, however, as too
many people confuse it with cellulite (the puffiness of fat, etc. around the
hips as described above).
    Cellulitis - which I contracted around Christmastime of 2002 and finally
went into the hospital with it in May of 2003 - is an inflammation that
arises among the body's cells. It can happen anywhere on the body, but
usually confines itself around the lower legs where blood circulation is the
poorest and edema can form in the feet and around the ankles. You seep
plasma constantly. Blisters form and eventually develop into a weird, gooey
coating on the legs (where I had it) that looks like something out of a
science-fiction movie.
    As I was not in good financial condition, I went through the city health
department to enter the hospital. They assigned a surgeon on the case,
although I was blessed with not having to have my legs amputated. I was
given high levels of antibiotics for half a week (although I suspect fungus
can also contribute to the problem) and was debrided in a whirlpool bath to
get the scum off (I can see how Silkwood felt when they scraped her skin for
radiation - although I was not subjected to a wire brush). When I got out of
the hospital I had to wear unno boots from the end of May through September.
These are gauze bandages soaked in zinc oxide and calomine lotion (more
zinc) wrapped around the legs, with Ace bandages wrapped around that. You
feel like a Zombie when you walk.
    At the end of the visits with the doctor I asked him what preventive
measures should be taken. His attitude was nothing, just keep wearing
prescribed compression support hose, keep your legs elevated most of the
time, and see you later when it occurs again.
    That drove me back to Paleo, which I'm doing better at considering I'm
still not floating in money. I want to prove the doctor a liar, basically.
    You can see that it really doesn't matter whether it's cellulite or
cellulitis. The mechanism that causes each may not be the same, but the
preventive measure is basically the same - paleo-style, very little
refinement eating. I'm not going to lie around with my legs elevated all the
time with compression support hose strangling my legs.