From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 06:40:12 -0500
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:58:44 -0500, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...The reasons
> previous low carb athletic experiments to that point had failed were
> because they: 1) Didn't allow sufficient time for the body to switch
> from carbs to fat;

Your experiment is only going to be three weeks -- I presume you're going
to make the dietary switch much sooner?  Three weeks isn't long enough to
switch fully from carb-burnng to fat-burning if you are just starting to
experiment with the idea.

> Phinney does have a caveat that I'd like to disprove.  While endurance
> athletes would do well with this diet, "anaerobic (i.e. weight lifting
> or sprinting) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels
> induced by a ketogenic diet...."  I don't believe that this is true --

In my own experience, it is.  When I've been on ketogenic diets in the
past, it's been harder to lift as much weight for as many reps as when
I've got at least some carbs.  However, during all of my previous
ketogenic periods, I've also been cutting calories, which usually tends to
have the same effect.  I was also doing three workouts a week for 30 to 45
minutes instead of two at 20 minutes.

It will be interesting to see how your experiment goes.

--
   Robert Kesterson