From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:42:39 +0100
On Jun 26, 2004, at 5:19 am, Adrienne Smith wrote:
> Last time I
> checked, a cup of sugar and pop don't have fiber, vitamin c, protein,
> thiamin, b6 and iron like the "lowly" potato. As far as bad stuff in
> the
> skin and eyes of the potato -- well, there's plenty of "bad" stuff in
> brocolli such as thryroid hormone blockers as do most cruciferous
> veggies.
> Does that mean I wouldn't eat brocolli?

Adrienne,

You have to remember that broccoli is not a staple food in any society,
and even if eaten raw would probably not pose a serious health threat
due to the small amount of it that would be consumed.  But this is not
relevant, since we do cook broccoli and cooking it *improves* it from a
health perspective, whereas cooking a potato makes the potato worse.
All the nutrients in potatoes can be found in other vegetables, without
the huge sugar load on the blood.

Ashley