From:
Padraig Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:14:47 -0400
On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:11:48 -0400, Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Padraig wrote> Now... the authors don't present views that we were all
>strict fruitarians or explicitly claim what paleo man ate
>
>If that's the case, that they don't even indicate what Paleo people ate,
>then it sounds like their book has little real world value for me other than
>curiosity. The writings and recordigns of and by indigenous peoples,
>scientists, medical doctors, and fellow investigators of ways of eating and
>lifestyle that led me to a flesh-based Paleo diet have delivered fantastic
>real personal value to me that has changed my life for the better, including
>in ways beyond diet and health.

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. I'm in it for the lifestyle as well, I love
fruit and raw vegetables and I like fish as well. I have plenty of books on
primatology, not so much indigenous peoples though as I don't really trust any
modern tribe to give a good picture of primitive life. Maybe I will in the future.

I'm all into living as paleo-man did, and I believe being mainly frugivore is part
of that. The great apes are mostly frugivore, Charles Darwin described man as
being very frugivore (far before we realised the food we ate made a
difference). I jump on tables and things, I try to think of everything in terms of
how we're evolved. When I heard of "five fingered shoes" I was all into getting
them at first, although at $70 they sound like a bit of a rip-off and I'm not so
sure anymore they're really like no shoes and aren't a bit of a fad.

>> I hate seeing my fellow human beings (those who are naturally low-protein
>probably more related to me), suffering to I try to proclaim it to those who
>will listen anyway... and especially try to denounce misinformation about
>how paleolithic man ate.
>
>Well then you've come to the wrong place. You'll find that most people here
>have experienced marvelous benefits from a Paleo-based diet. If you want to
>help the suffering you should spend the time you're wasting here at
>vegetarian and SAD (Weight Watchers, etc.) forums.

I guess the primary quibble I have is with people calling it "the paleo diet".
Perhaps "the paleo diet" should not be affiliated with any particular diet as it's
HIGHLY contentious what paleo man ate and for how long he ate it.

>I'm not particularly interested in seeking out places to make denunciations
>of misinformation about Paleolithic man or vegetarianism or anything else
>amongst the people who follow different WOE than mine. I'll leave those
>battles to the propagandists. At this forum I'm more interested in
>information sharing between people here who share a similar diet and
>lifestyle interest. If I want to learn about the benefits of a fruitarian
>diet and horrors of a flesh-based one I'll go to a fruitarian forum. That's
>the beauty of the Internet--there's something for everyone. I certainly
>wouldn't go to a fruitarian diet forum just to harangue the people there
>with my contrary views--especially without reading a lot of their posts first.

I accept that but the same point about naming again. What if this place was
called "Meat-eating list" and the fruitarian message board was called
the "paleo diet"? Would you be happy with that? I had no idea there were so
many people calling the paleo diet in this way. Some well-educated,
knowledgeable people would swear on their lives that being a vegan would add
20 years to your life... not saying that it's true, just that some would say it.