Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:46:36 -0800
Parties and Restaurant Food

I’m not a big party-er by nature, but when I’ve gone to gatherings, I’ve
always eaten a small paleo meal beforehand and brought my own food,
descretely left in a cooler in my car trunk, just in case. Drinks? I
bring my own mineral water as well, but if paleo components are
available at the gathering, sometimes I never have to resort to my
cooler and self brought beverages. However, preparation is good prevention.
Restaurants: the bottom line is I am the paying customer, I ask for what
I want. I don’t go to fast food places and I won’t go to places where
they’d feel “put out” by my requests. This means I may not go out as
often for financial reasons, but when I do I enjoy it.
General fare: Avoid the bread entirely, keep the butter pats for your
main dish. Green salad with olive oil and lemon wedges on the side, no
croutons no cheese.
Main dish, leave off any starches, no potatoes or fries or rice, etc…,
instead I ask for an extra helping of veggies if they are paleo
compatable, steamed without sauce. I ask for my entrée to be cooked as
rare as possible, no sauces, and use the pats of butter for a “sauce”
instead. Drink: no wine, just water or “plain” not fruit flavored
mineral water, or plain hot tea, though most restaurants massacre tea,
by serving those obnoxious little metal pots with barely lukewarm water
and a teabag.
Mexican: Avoid the chips, use the salsa with your entrée, have fajitas
without the tortillas or beans and rice and order a sliced avocado on
the side.
Italian: sliced prociutto with melon, green salad, avoid pasta
Japanese: order the kind of sushi that’s not wrapped in seaweed and eat
the raw fish off the top of the rice with your ginger (if you don’t mind
the pickleness of it) and wasabi. Avoid the soysauce, but the jasmine
tea is fine.
Surf and Turf: Dump the potatoes or other starches, enjoy the meat and
seafood with a nice side salad.

Mind you, I’m not much of a restaurant goer these days, since the more I
learn about so many of even the best restaurants chalking up health
violations, Hepatitis outbreaks, and unsanitary practices, the less I’m
inclined to eat out.
Wouldn’t it be Great if somebody opened a paleo restaurant??

Eating at home is the best way to know exactly what’s on your plate.