From:
Micki Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:59:22 MST
Hello,
Here is just an opinion on the subject of serotonin. Please take it as such
since I'm not an expert.  I am thinking about what I've read about the
druglike effects of food.  It might be that on the whole, our society is
conditioned from childhood to be addicted to things like sugar, sweets, junk
food, traditional cooking that has a lot of everything in the wrong ratios.
Perhaps serotonin is similar to insulin in that we develop a resistence,
needing more than would be normal due to the stresses of modern life and our
conditioning? The Standard American Diet with its high carbs and junk food
might be overkill on serotonin levels, yes, especially for women since we have
those constant month to month hormonal shifts, and then when we switch to
paleo, we go through withdrawals. I have heard and seen and also experienced
for myself what a large, high carb meal does to a person. They plop on the
couch or bed and loll around, heads nodding, almost identical behavior to
heroin addicts. Thank God, food isn't illegal. But perhaps some things that
pretend to be food should be. If it were myself, I would probably go for the
fruit option or even buy the supplement 5HTP.
But then, that's just me. We've each got to find what will work for the
individual.

micki