From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 01:11:03 -0500
Hej Hans!

You wrote:

> I sometimes feel the same.  Then I think of all the bread and cheese
> and all youghurt (or rather: northern swedish "long milk") and müsli
> I never got bored of before and not long for any more.

Ah!  My adopting mother's parents came from Sweden, don't recall what
areas.  She was into setting a glass of milk out to sour.  But didn't
know that pasteurization kills the souring bacteria but not the
rotting bacteria.  In natural milk the souring bacteria pretty much
control the rot bacteria.  So she wound up drinking disgusting rotten
milk.  I never could stand it.  She had severe gastric distress all
her life which I began to understand after learning of some of the
effects of milk on some people.

I've gotten into some stuff I've been told is 'tibetan mushroom'.
Looks like tapioca pudding or your brain on semtex.  I prefer to call
it squoggle for its appearance.  It's a kind of fungus or similar
matrix that most likely carries some milk fermenting bacteria.  The
product that results from a day of fermenting tastes much like yogurt
or kefir.  Some Swiss traveller in Tibet got monumentally sick and
got cured by dosages of this milk product.  So much for anecdotal
evidence.

Perhaps one could argue some late paleo - early mesolithic use of
fermentation of milk.  It would appear soon after early
semi-domestication of any conveniently milkable animals, probably
~10kya.  Probably long before substantial organized agriculture.

> When I am really hungry and sit down with a plate full of meat
> and nothing else there is no problem with my apetite.

I've noted similar change in my hunger.  I'm less consistently hungry
than when eating substantial amounts of carbohydrate.

> The problem is more when I think about what to eat tonight or the
> next day, then I can feel the sickness You mention.

I don't notice this reaction.

> Vegetables are also boring but fruit and nuts goes into my throat
> all the time in an everlasting stream.  I wonder why?

Perhaps they are satisfying some body craving.  If you're not eating
organ meat you're likely short on some nutrients.  Most modern
domesticated animals are not much like their wild ancestors.  Most
modern factory animal raising feeds them for fast growth and ignores
completeness of nutrients.

All manner of animals have lusts for entertaining tasting food.
Bears and others eagerly raid bees' nests for honey.  Be sure
paleoman did this also.  Whether there's an nutritional benefit or
detriment sweet stuff tastes good to most of us.

Farval,
Dick
http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson
SU Rifle Club: http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson/surifleclub.html