From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:17:55 -0700
--

>At what point of cooking meat does the protein denature, the enzymes die,
>and the vitamin content wane?
as long as the cells are kept whole  in a cold environment , the
chemical
reactions are certainly kept to a minimum. as soon heat is involved or
mechanical destructions of the  cell walls ( minced or thawing frozen
meat.)
the enzymes get used up by catalysing chemical reactions between the
components of the cells, heat speed upthe process even more .
My sense is  that , this  freed energy is waisted out of the body
environment where thoses chemical  reactions  breaking down the
molecules
should occur in contact with body fluids and at a fixed temperature .
how much of the potentially nutritious components are lost  in the
process i
don't know .

>I like to take a slab of meat, and sear it in a hot pan for less than one
>minute on each side. The inside is bloody and raw. When I cook liver, I
cook
>it for 30 seconds on each side.  Cooking meat  this way is just enough to
>give it that taste that stirs my genetic memory.  Yes,  there is Lucy in
all
>of us!!!!!

when i first started eating  instinctively raw   and meat became
attractive
I(after many years of vegetarianism), i was squeamish about the color
so i
was cheating by throwing the piece on the wood stove just enough to
make it
brown on the outside
It end up feeling quite ridiculous and useless to do after a while and
since
then i lost a lot of my inhibitions toward the idea of blood ,death
etc...

>Didn't the Native Americans eat raw meats as well as lots of cooked stews
>with wood ash for calcium?

 i heard there was tribes in south america who were eating their meat
raw
when the first white came ( maybe at the tip of chile) and when asked
why
thy were not cooking it they will have answered . < we kill it once
there
is no need to kill it twice .>
i don't know if it is the same peoples but i just read recently about
the
fuegian indians observed by Darwin. He wrote.
<whenever it is low water,winter or summer ,day or night,they must
rise to
pick shell-fish from the rock ... if a seal is killed or the floating
carcass of a putrid whale discovered it is a feast: and such miserable
food
is assisted by a few tasteless berries and fungi.>
i love the judgemental view of Darwin , he goes on and on how thoses
peoples
were savage, half naked and bare feet , year round in those freezing
temperature .sleeping on the ground .
we had a whale who came to die on our shore , not that long ago ,  i
would
have loved to have a feast too but the authorities rescued us by
sinking the
body in deep waters.
who is the savages .?

jean-claude