Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:44:20 -0400
>Madeline Stratton <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Recently I have been reading that the essential fatty acid level in farm
>raised salmon is very small, compared to wild caught salmon, presumably
>because of the change in the way they are fed. Since wild caught salmon is
>hard to come by, we have been buying a lot of canned salmon, which is at
>least Alaskan wild salmon. I notice there is pink salmon, and red salmon,
>which costs about twice as much as the pink. Does anyone know what differeces
>there might be in fatty acid composition between the pink and the red? or why
>the red is so much more expensive? Is it worth the extra money?

From my experience in buying fresh salmon, the varieties that are leanest
(and less flavorful) cost less.  If this is the same for canned salmon, then
you may save money getting leaner varieties, but you get less fat and less
EFAs in the process.  Oh, also the types of salmon used for canning are not
the same varieties as those sold fresh and frozen.  The types that are
canned are leaner varities of salmon overall, so they don't contain as much
omega-3s per ounce as some of the premium fresh salmon varities.

You could compare nutrient labels for various brands of canned salmon to see
how they compare.

Rachel