From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2011 15:12:47 -0700
Hi Wally,
The Oxford English Dictionary lists this phrase under one sense of "all"
and defines it as "Everything short of. Hence (adverbially) Almost, very
nearly, well nigh." One of the OED's examples: "These were all but
unknown to Greeks and Romans" . The earliest quotation given for "all
but" is from 1598.
from:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/9/messages/271.html

best wishes,