From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:22:02 -0500
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:05:31 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dogs are not mandatory carnivores?  Dogs are domesticated wolves.  What do
>wolves eat in the wild?  ...  Sorry Amadeus, there are
>no photos of them eating grass, grass seeds or any other plant matter.
>Voegtlin suggested this experiment:  Pen your dog in a large area full of
>wild plant matter, but do not give it any meat or allow any animal to enter
>its range.   If the dog is "not a mandatory carnivore" it should do fine.
>
>Any one willing to put his dog to the test?

My mother in law (10 y ago) did the test and fed her collie with "Matzinger
Hundeflocken". Looks like oat flakes. I think the animal didn't get much
other stuff. And did quite well.
Maybe its because wolfes in the wild encounter famine periods, when they are
forced to eat much other stuff.
Cats on the other side do very badly when fed without meat (packed catfood
contains 90% tofu I once heared???).

I will accept any dog owner opinion as a rule however.
My point was: a dog has carnivore teeth and grinding teeth are absent.
A human doesn't have carnivore molars and has grinding teeth.
Make out of it what you want.

Amadeus