Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:36:00 -0500
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:08:45 -0500, Marianne Fuller
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>how depressing! I thought I read in a couple of paleo books that you never
>have to count calories because you're eating the right sorts of food. Is
>that really not true?

I'm not saying you have to count calories, but it's definitely something to
consider if you want to lose weight and nothing else is working.

When I first started low-carbing I didn't count calories and lost weight
regardless. It was great! But after a couple of months I stalled for quite
a long time, and it was only when I started keeping an eye on calories as
well as carbs that my weight loss resumed. It turned out I had been eating
too much cheese - a very low carb food but unfortunately highly calorific.
With paleo I find nuts and nut butters can be a problem for the same
reason.

If you can eat when hungry and have no problem stopping when you've had
enough, then I doubt that you need to count calories. But I find keeping a
food journal helps me see what's going on and what the culprits are that I
need to avoid.

My spreadsheet is a bit of a mess, though. :-)

Jo