From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:37:47 -0700
At 11:53 PM 3/29/01 -0800, Ken Stuart wrote:

>So, in our Paleo context, "Christianity" has not possibly been around long
>enough to do much of anything....

Less than half the time Charles' tribe-of-study has been in CA, now you
mention it!

However, the quotes given as being problems--dominating the earth, etc.,
are much older than christianity, older even then judiasm, in that they
"borrowed" their creation myths from ... the chaldeans (sp) or someone,
which would make those more like 10,000 years old.

Anyway, it's kinda interesting how even in more modern times,
religions/philosophies, mythic cycles of different groups are so thoroughly
entrenched in their own life styles.  Nomadic groups, settled
agricultural/pastural groups, and hunter/gather groups have very differnt
outlooks on life and it spills over into their outlook on "what's beyond".

Some easy examples are how the agricultural/pastural ones emphasize
gods/goddesses/rituals/etc. based on their need for good weather, good
harvests, protection of their land.  Hunter/gatherers are often more
animistic, needing, I think, to be more aware of how intimately connected
with their ecosystem they have to be to survive.  And we're still seeing
the effects of nomadic belief systems in the middle east...

Sorry, this is way OT, I guess--but I find this sort of thing fascinating,
too :)

Dianne