From:
Lillian Alicia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 02:50:37 -0400
congratulations Alex

Let me speak to you ar a midwife.  I educate my clients on the
benefits of breastfeeding and delaying introduction of food to baby.
It is imperative to the health of your bby that he be breastfed for a
minimum of 1 year.  The average weaning age around the world is 3
years.  I breastfed mine that long.  I can go into more detail about
that if you wish.  BUt I would like to say to the second part of the
question....do not feed your baby baby-food.  He needs to be receiving
mama's milk and when he is about 7 or 8 months of age let him start
eating off your plate...a little at a time.  You might notice he may
not want to really.  All babies are curious and may look like they
want your food, but do not give to him until he is old enough.  By
that i mean, that he has enough teeth to do with the food what the
food needs done to be eaten.  Obviously your soft foods will be
first.  Good choice would be avocado and soft fruits.  Bring your baby
to the table when you are eating so he may learn table etiquette. So
he may see what the family does at mealtimes, so he may participate in
this holy event.  First mama should fill him up with milk so all can
enjoy mealtime together (goodness, how many times I have eaten cold
food because baby wanted to eat at same time I did).  Once he has
eaten then the rest of the family can eat together and he can
participate that way.
Have fun
Lillian