Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 16:33:50 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:
  I seem to recall reading more than once on
> this list that cooking meat destroys its enzymes.  The stomach
> secretes large amounts of hydrochloric acid, and pepsin.  These
> prepare the protein in the food for digestion in the small intestine.
> There, proteases, produced by the pancreas, complete the process.

This (above) is the process for cooked meat.
Both Jean-Claude Catry and A. Vonderplanitz said their stomachs make no
HCl, so must eat raw.
It follows that raw meat needs less processing, speeds stomach transit
time and the enzymes should then make to the small intestine where most
digestion takes place.

   The pancreas produces its own proteases,
> lipases, and amylases, so that we don't need to get our digestive
> enzymes from food.

Apparently not so for all.

  William