From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:52:36 -0700
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:50:32 -0400, ardeith l carter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So, how do I think all this connects to food?   The most
>poverty-ridden areas of the world depend almost
>exclusively on grains and beans (of one sort or another)
>for their subsistence.   It wasn't until people settled into
>the lives of grain-growers that anyone had the need
>and/or opportunity to establish the heirarchies that
>became governments and/or religious institutions.
>As long as people were wandering across the landscape
>gathering and hunting....and maybe herding.....there
>was little opportunity for the "civilizing" aspects of
>government and/or religion to arise.

The big flaw in this argument is that hunter-gatherers indeed have
religion !

As I mentioned earlier, the FORM of the religious institutions are
different
depending on the culture.

In fact, it seems likely that there is MORE pressure in a smaller
tribal group
to hold the same "beliefs" as everyone else in the tribe.

>The "major" religions of the world.....Christianity,
>Islam, Judaism.....promote the attitude that nothing really
>matters here on this little planet except "perfecting" one's
>soul in preparation for the "afterlife."

That's only half the major religions of the world, and what you wrote
is not
true for even those religions you mentioned.   "Love Your Neighbor As
Yourself"
is the biggest commandment in Christianity, totally contradicting your
statement.  Please read first hand materials before criticizing a
system,
otherwise you cannot fault people for saying "Cave Man Diet - Ugh!".

Out of respect for those who have requested this cease, I will leave
it at that.

--
Cheers,

Ken