From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:35:47 MST
You wrote...

>Lyle McDonald, author of _The
>Ketogenic Diet_, also reports that the blood lipids of people on
>high sat-fat diets appear to improve as long as the people are
>losing weight.  My own experience is consistent with this, but as
>far as I know it has not been demonstrated in a scientific way.

You raise an excellent point.  No studies to quote here, but I have a friend
who lost major poundage via the mainstream low-carb method.  (I'm concerned,
though, at her lack of knowledge on the whys & hows.  She didn't read any
books, just went by word of mouth.  Info's out there, people!)  At any rate,
she's now quite slim.  She told me about feeling lightheaded when her carbs
are kept very low, so now she's eating more.  I'm just worried that, without
good info between her ears, she'll add the WRONG carbs; corn, potatoes,
grains & sugar.  All low-carb diets that emphasize weight loss (at least,
that I have read) tell you to add carbs when done.  You do have to wonder
what happens to the blood levels of someone no longer dropping pounds but
still sticking to a mere 20-30g carbs/day.  Me?  When I'm done losing
weight, I'll be eating more fruit.  Ahhh, just thinking about fresh peaches
gives me an endorphin rush.

In conclusion, let's turn Bill Gates into a paleo-compunerd and maybe his
gazillions of dollars can fund some studies.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO