From:
Gerard Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:08:36 +0100
Subject: Re: Thinnest people eat the most carbs???

> Gerard -
>
> Chickens are omnivorous - they should be free range so they can eat
> insects and rodents, etc., and have access to a balanced diet of
> vegetables, etc.

Mark, thanks for that.

The reason I posed the question was because for years, here in Ireland and
in the UK,
chickens were fed on fish bonemeal. I don't know where you reside but as far
as I know
at the same time chickens in the U.S were mainly corn fed.

I know a chef and he was telling me that at one time he worked in a hotel in
London
and a lot of the guests staying there were American tourists. He said they
nearly always
complained about the smell and taste of fish from the eggs they were served
up for breakfast
insisting that he must have fried the eggs in a pan where fish had been
cooked.

He knew this wasn't the case as he said he had a pan that he used
exclusively for eggs, and he
couldn't understand why the Americans could get the taste and smell of fish
until he learned that
the breeders were using fishmeal on the hens.

I often wondered when the BSE scare came with cattle fed the bonemeal of
cattle how they could
possibly feed fishmeal to hens. I mean would hens be able to find or catch a
fish? Even if they did would they eat
it?

Gerard