From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:40:29 -0400
"Argentine Cows Plan Move to Feedlots" is an article that ran in The Wall
Street Journal on September 1st. Some snippets:

Cattle grazing will tend to disappear as more-profitable grain farms
overtake grassland and drive cattle into feedlots.

"This is the trend of the future."

"Our goal is to have 200,000 cattle in our feedlots in the next few years.
We have 26,00 now and we're looking to open our second and third feedlots."

"We figured we could produce cheaper, higher-quality grain-fed beef in
Argentina than anywhere else in the World. The demand for grain-fed beef in
Argentina is increasing."

But critics say grass-fed is better.

Not so. "That's ridiculous. The demand for grain-fed beef in Argentina is
increasing. Supermarkets will probably promote feedlot beef because you can
get consistent quality from it but you can't get this from pasture-fed beef."

[end of excerpts]

Right now The US market is closed to Argentine beef due to foot-and-mouth
disease. But the market is expected to open over the next year or two. So
be careful what you buy!

Don.