From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:51:20 -0500
I'm curious to hear how people fit the ideas of self-sufficiency together
with the paleo diet, specifically as it relates to food production.  Paleo
man was a hunter-gatherer.  There's not much to hunt or gather where I
live, at least not for much of the year.  And I'm not nearly as mobile as
paleo man was.  (Paleo man had but to pick up his spear and take off.
Moving me takes a week and a truck.)

I dislike the fact that much of our food supply is out of our hands,
produced far away by people we don't know, using practices that we
probably wouldn't approve of.  So I'm trying to bring about at least some
small amount of food self-sufficiency for my family.

I have a small garden, planted full of nice vegetables and greens (nice
for the summer, but most of it won't last long into the winter).  I'm in
the process of establishing a small flock of chickens for both eggs and
meat, but that too will fall off in the winter.  I have enough grass that
I could conceivably keep a couple of cows or a bison or two (though I do
not presently plan to).  I've planted fruit and nut trees.

The goal is to have a year-round supply of clean, organic food that is
paleo-friendly, preferably produced on my own property without my having
to spend 18 hours a day tending crops and livestock (I have a "city" job,
but live in the country).  Have any of you met that goal?  Any insights
you can share?

--
   Robert Kesterson