From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:25:26 -0700
Whole Foods, Bread & Circus, and Fresh Fields are owned all by Whole
Foods, but they carry different stuff in different parts of the country.
In my Whole Foods in L.A., I get New Zealand beef and lamb which I am
almost positive is grass fed.

Here in L.A. we have a premium market called Gelsons and they have grass
fed Argentine beef.

Both of these (NZ and Argentine) are much, much leaner, not marbled like
grain fed beef, and taste much stronger. They have hardly any fat on
them. They are much darker in color. WF even sells ground NZ beef. I
have had bad luck with much of the lamb which is already going south
when I've purchased it. But the NZ lamb is also grass fed and is very
lean compared to grain fed lamb, and stronger in flabor.

I go to Fresh Fields in Washington DC area and they don't have NZ beef
at this point. I buy uncured bacon in L.A. and they have different
brands in D.C.

--Richard (Tarzana, CA)