Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:12:29 -0500
>> Just because we can survive on just about anything doesn't make it good.
>> Just because you can find a few people who are not damaged by long term
>> vegetarianism doesn't change anything. A little factoid, vegetarian women
>> have a higher breast cancer rate.
>>
>Do you have a source to cite for your factoid? I am interested in this
>correlation, having breast cancer myself, although I've never been a
>vegetarian, but have for many years eaten little red meat but have eaten
>lotsa' pasta.

I remember reading about that one back when Linda McCartney (a long-time
vegetarian activist) died of breast cancer.  If I recall correctly, there
had been a study published in the British Journal of Medicine, indicating
that vegetarian women have a higher incidence of breast cancer.  It was
just one study, so it's not considered authoritative; the authors
acknowledged that there could ahve been lifestyle differences or other
factors.  Still, it's intriguing ... I definitely think that we neo-cavemen
are ahead of our time.  Little by little, the mainstream medical world is
coming around to our way of thinking.