From:
"tray.b" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 10:36:59 -0400
Ron wrote:

>I have twice followed a ketogenic diet for about a month each time. In
>both instances I have experienced a sense of being a social outcast. I
>also experienced improved breathing, improved exercise tolerance, loss >of
a few unwanted pounds, more energy, and a wonderful sense of well->being.

I'm following a ketogenic diet for the month (basically meat and fat,
avoiding dairy except for butter). It's only been a few days, but I've
already dropped 3lbs of water weight and I am thinking more clearly. I'm
trying it out to see how I feel and so far, so good. Only problem is getting
enough fat without dairy, especially when out and about. And the social
aspect is tough as well!

>For many folks however, just eliminating gluten from their diet is a huge
>undertaking.  I am still surprised by the number of people who tell me how
>awful it must be to follow a gluten-free diet.

Same here! I generally get looks of pity, or gasps of horror, and always the
question "What do you eat???", as if the only foods in the known universe
are breads, cereals and pastas. There's a gluten-free booth at my flea
market, and the owners are all morbidly obese - from eating their g-free
butter tarts, brownies and baking mixes, no doubt. Makes me sad that we've
come to a point where these foods are considered normal, even essential, to
eat. I emailed Ron after reading his book (which was a huge help to me when
I went gluten-free - thank you) bc it occurred to me (based on my
experience)that a large part of "food addiction" is likely not rooted in
emotional issues, but in a real, physical addiction to grains (and in some
cases dairy products as well). People's extreme reactions to my dietary
restrictions (which I am thankful for, bc I was as addicted to starches as
anybody) further reinforce my opinion.

We've got cancer on both sides of the family, mainly colon and stomach, and
genetic gluten intolerance on both sides as well. I really believe the two
are linked. If I ever got diagnosed with cancer (or epilepsy) I'd keto my
ass off :)

Tracy