From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 06:45:08 +0000

>Still, these pathogens are on the surface of the meat (like a steak or
>roast) and a quick searing under heat should kill/inactivate them.  Ground
>meats are always the exception.  Grinding distributes surface pathogens
>throughout.  You must therefore always cook ground meat to a minimum
>internal temperature of 165F.  Jean-Claude, please tell me that you do this.

Don't panic for us, Rob. Some of us eat raw and generally enjoy an intimate
relationship with the bacteria around us without ill effects. I've been
eating raw beef all my life, raised in a household where we saved soap
rather than use it because we were poor. I play in compost, pick fruit off
my trees, feed my dog raw chicken and pork and absentmindedly lick my
fingers, eat raw unwashed eggs, kiss my dog after his meals, scratch my
eyes after I scratch my butt - and still manage not to smell bad and more
importantly, not to get sick at all.

There is a lot to be said for living naturally exposed to bacteria in the
natural world, although there is no doubt that aspects of commercial food
production can cause problems for the immunosuppressed, which is most
folks, I suspect. I appreciate your concern for them, but feel it may be a
little misplaced in re some folks here.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!