From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:10:26 -0800
----->
>>http://www.discoveringarchaeology.com/0599toc/5feature3-fire.shtml
>
>There are many reasons why cooking of meat and the expansion of
>humans as big game users coincided:
>* cooking meat jump-starts the digestive process, so more meat
>  (protein,  fat) can be assimilated

In my experience, raw meat is easier for the digestive system than cooked
meat .  But at the same time i agree than denaturing the meat will allow a
greater consumption of it because of the bypassing of the instinctive
regulation ( no so clear stop experienced with cooked meat when metabolism
need are met)

>* children can be fed cooked meat more easily

my son have been eating raw meats since he was few weeks old, before having
any teeth. Cooked meat is tougher to chew.

>* cooking destroys bacteria

that might be the cause of more problems than it was  suppose to avoid.
Many peoples have been eating raw meat for a very long time without any
problems.

>* teeth size recession coincided with cooking meat

i can believe than eating more vegetable matter require larger teeths.
I don't believe one minute that the conversion from raw meats to cooked
meats will make the teeths less usefull . Raw meat is more tender than
cooked meat.

>Like I've said, I think of our species as hunter/cookers :-).

From this article there is no evidence at all of use of fire as cooking
device especially when it is discovered that the wood mostly burned ( palm
wood) produce big flames , burn fast , not great way  to cook ,  efficient
to make light and keep predatory animals at bay from themselves or their
meat supply.

I see , in this article,  only asumptions about the cooking of meat and
tubers no more..

<Parched grains wouldn't last long,
<and neither would stone-baked tubers

how come they are able to find out which wood was burned  ( something that i
found remarcable) and will not be able to detect traces of burned tubers?.

there is 3 related stories that i would like to read but my computer could
not find them. I will be interested to read more articles  about the origin
of fire.
A friend is writing a book  and will apreciate this kind of informations
thanks for directing me .
jean-claude