From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:39:39 -0600
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:42:37 -0600, Brad Adams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 2. As regards calorie intake I have two lines of thinking. First, I don't
> object to adding highly unrefined carbs as long as my staples are fruits,
> veges & meat. Weston A. Price found that (relatively) primitive people were
> in good physical and dental health even when their diets include grain
> foods. According to Price the key was that the foods were unrefined.

This is what I have been wondering about.  The paleo diet includes a number of nuts and seeds from various plants -- it seems illogical to me that the seeds from grain plants would have been rejected by primitive man, especially given that they eventually formed a large part of the basis for agriculture.  They would have eaten them in the same way they ate other nuts and seeds -- raw, whole, straight from the plant, or perhaps with minimal preparation (soaking of oats comes to mind).  Certainly they would not have had them in the quantities we experience today, but I don't know that they means they never had them.

> ... So, to cut to the chase, I'd say as long as your foods are not
> highly refined, and you have a high nutrient density I think you'd perform
> well on a paleo-like diet despite not getting as many calories as is
> normally reccommended.

I agree.  (I don't base my calories needs on any particular recommendation, just on my own experience.)

--
   Robert Kesterson