From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 06:05:45 -0500
>Sheryl Canter wrote:
>
>IBS is very much a physiological problem--it's just a different one from
> what you describe.  The peristalsys becomes spastic rather than smooth

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:05:56 -0600, Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>Another cause of undigested food in the stool is celiac disease, where the
>gluten
>in wheat and other grains causes the loss of the villi in the small
>intestine, resulting
>in undigested food and a very quick transit time.  Some people think that
>gluten is a cause of IBS as well, though there is a difference of opinion
>on it.

Gluten and other substances within wheat and other grains seem
to aggravate or maybe even cause bowel inflammations.

Why?

One thing is true: If some food molecules pass through the gut walls
they appear to the imune system as any other foreign molekules (virus,
bacteria, fungus, toxin or parasite).
The imune reaction then can produce a lot of damage: autoimune attacks and
more or less permanent inflammations.

There are conditions when the gut gets permeable (or "leaky"), and in this
case any protein molecule from any food item will have exact this reaction.
It's just that gluten is found in almost any SAD diet meal.
In this way it's rather probable that it's a gluten molecule, which is
permanently upsetting the imune system.

Then there's the case of lectins, and possibly other antinutrients , which
are found predominatly in seeds. We know that there are a couple of gut
machanisms (like IgA reactions) which are made to compe with these
substances.
However there may be some conditions of weakness, when the gut-cells are
more sensible, shorter lived and more permeable.

Such conditions of weakness I think are only possible when the natural gut
conditions of healthy bacteria and fiber are impaired.
This explains, why among real grain based societies (like Swiss
Loetschenthal valley) celiac disease or gluten sensitivity is very seldom,
maybe unknown.

But what can we do after most of us had a life with many years of
unfavourable nutrition. Maybe now have gluten sensitivity -known or onknown-
 or even celiac?

Of course avoid the allergen.
So skip out all the gluten grains. Maybe more and more of other grains and
seeds maybe they are labelled "paleo" or not.
Nuts are perfect paleo but often cause sensitivities (most often of all
food items).

Bowel irritations are not limited to grains or non paleo items.
I think the frequency of irritations just mirrors the frequency of the food
found in the back years' diet.

It also doesn't mirror "paleoness".
I'm sensitive to hazelnuts, lambs meat, green capsicum and soy.

But paleo-diet seems to help, so some of you have reported.
I think this is because it simply wipes out the most frequent allergens:
cereal grains and dairy. And offers a replacement few people show
sensibilities from: meats.

Here I have an idea, why I thing low-carb nutritions helps IBS (like
in "Life without bread"). High insulin promotes inflammatory prostaglandin
production. Low insulin opposite. Prostaglandins are produced - in the gut
walls too. So it could work like a kind of aspirin inside the gut walls.

Sheryl and Lynnet, would you describe the diet that helped you (including
the "cheats")?

regards, Amadeus S.