Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:45:54 -0700
Minerals Question--   First thanks to Siobhan for the data
on Utah Minerals.

Then assuming that it is true that our blood has a mineral
content close to that of sea water.

And assuming that we are faced with a problem of mineral
imbalance (or unbalance);  in that CaveMan food was high in
Potassium and low in Sodium--while if we eat anything today
that our friends and neighbors eat or that is low cost at
the market we are faced with a huge sodium load.   We have a
serious problem with too much sodium

Now it is not my idea except by osmosis;  but  the reason
that all food that has been thru a factory, cannery or?
comes to us  loaded with salt is:   Common Salt ( NaCl) from
which all other nutrient have been removed-- is that we
desperately crave salt, so they put lots of salt on a potato
chip.  We eat one.  Our system recognizes the common salt in
it and wants more.  We eat another potato chip.  Our system
recognizes the common salt in it and wants more.  We eat
another potato chip.  All this continues because there is a
shortage of all the trace minerals that are in sea water,
however our system is still seeking the trace minerals and
it is triggered by the sodium chloride to seek more of that
food in hopes of getting the trace minerals.   So some
people eat five or twenty times as much "Salt" as they need
while trying to satisfy a common craving for those trace
minerals.

I have found several places to buy "Natural" salt  most of
it from the sea or old sea deposits.

So I could consume a little extra "Sea Salt" except that
then I will get extra sodium.

This raises the question;   If Sea Salt was available -from
which some of the sodium chloride had been removed  we could
consume a little extra of all the other trace minerals
without getting too much sodium.

I presently understand that we can easily eliminate any
normal excess of minerals.    Example:  We can drink  some
sea  water as long as we have fresh water to drink also so
our body can regulate the mineral balance by excreting the
excess minerals in the urine; but if  we drink only sea
water we will suffer mineral "poisoning"  because we can
not excrete the excess in the already highly mineral laden
water.

The Ancient Romans knew something about this;  They said
Wine without water will kill you.

Comments?

Regards,  Lorenzo