From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:34:40 -0800
> >In this case it's true.  It's a genetic disorder,
> not caused by
> >diet,

<snip>

> I think there is no clear line between innate and
> acquired.

Todd is absolutely correct. There is a specific test
that can be performed to determine if an individual is
susceptible to hemochromatosis. It is quite genetic in
nature. My father-in-law has this condition, and other
than arthritis, he is living a perfectly normal
existence (with regular bloodletting, of course). I
believe he explained to me that the "root cause" is an
overproduction of red blood cells. My wife's brothers
and sisters have all been tested, and I believe a
couple of them are expected to have the condition when
they get older. The positive aspect of this is they
will be forwarned when symptoms appear and they will
be able to start "treatments" immediately.

Not all medical science is hooey.