From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:15:52 -0600
Susan Carmack wrote:
> Hi Paleopals:
>> Like other carnivores, paleo men were decidely lazy on non
>> hunting days.  Hard work followed by periods of laziness.
>
> My husband's theory on how we started eating grains was that the
> paleomen just decided they were too lazy to hunt...

Too lazy to move is more likely. Conditions that made it favorable to
stay in one place for a while eventually ended, but at that point we had
already set down roots and weren't too keen on going back to a nomadic
lifestyle. If we can't, or don't want to, go where the food is then we
better find a way to get the food here. We believe that man had known
for a long time that he could cultivate plant foods. So, if moving were
considered more of a hardship than subsisting off of what we could grow
agriculture is a logical result.

Which, initially, according to many anthropologists, meant that women
did most of the work; since they were traditionally responsible for
processing plant foods. In the long run, however, when division of labor
came along, men did most of the farming and storing and women did the
actual preparation.