Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 19:44:22 -0500
on 2/1/2001 9:16 AM, Amadeus Schmidt at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 01:59:31 -0600, Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> The reason that Mad Cow is publicized the way it is is to promote more
>> profitable foods
>
> I can't agree with this.
> The most profitable food is the expensive mass-produced meat.

How, exactly, do you figure this? How is meat so profitable? When I think of
profit-heavy food, I think of breakfast cereals and snack foods which are
basically a few pennies worth of grain, salt/sugar and chemicals processed
into a package costing several $$$$$$$$. You're telling us the profit margin
on meat is better than that?

> Beef fat actually kills millions of people, as far as it is involved in CHD
> diseases.

Can you supply some references for this please? Because I have read a few
dozen papers on cholesterol and its relationship with CHD, stroke, etc, and
I have not seen anything which convinces me of that. Do you perhaps have
some papers I haven't read?

I *have* on the other hand, seen medical references that list 'a
high-carbohydrate diet' as the top cause of elevated triglyceride levels.
Must be all that high-carb beef fat doing people in.

> Does this Kellog insist on Cornflakes, or are barley sprouts ok?

Nope, gotta be all processed and packaged. As Ray said:

<<Kellogg began the modern marketing of foods in the 1880s.  Several of his
books are available in whole text on the Net.  I think you would find much
to agree with in these.  An accurate portrail of his work can also be seen
in the novel and film "The Road to Wellville".>>

Dr Kellogg promoted consumption of a high grain diet as part of a more
hygienic lifestyle. Look into some of his writings for what he considered
'hygienic.' Not how I'd want to live.

Best to you each morning,

Irene